If your family member has been arrested in New York, is in police custody, or is being interrogated it is extremely important that he or she be represented by a criminal defense lawyer from the very start.
You likely are feeling afraid, confused and angry. This is normal, but don’t let your emotions cloud your thinking.
Call our 24 Hour Emergency Hotline Right Now:
Your family member is most vulnerable during the first phases of the criminal justice process, starting with the arrest.
Anything your family member says while under arrest, in custody or under interrogation can and will be used against them in a court of law.
As soon as you find out that your family member has been arrested, act right away to protect his or her rights and freedom.
We have seen far too many cases where criminal defense clients incriminate themselves by saying too much or the wrong thing during their arrest, while being held in police custody or while being interrogated. Don’t let this happen to your family. Retain a criminal defense lawyer immediately, from the moment of their arrest.
As soon as we receive your phone call, no matter the time of night or day, one of our attorneys will immediately go down to the police precinct or federal agency and formally invoke your family member’s rights by:
- Invoking your family member’s right to counsel
- Invoking your family member’s right to remain silent
- Instructing your family member to not answer questions that could incriminate them or hurt them in any way
- Making sure the police officers or federal agents are not using common threats, bogus offers or lies to make your family member say something they shouldn’t
- Having the police or federal agents sign a written form that protects your family member’s rights so they can’t later argue that his or her rights were never invoked
- Making sure that the police or federal agents don’t put your family member in an unfair or biased line up
Call Our 24 hour Emergency Hotline Right Now: